Report on Ushiro Sensei Seminar- May 2009
The comments from participants of May seminar in 2009
● Ushiro Sensei was amazing. I read his book, Karate and Ki in Japan this past year. I was in Japan training in Karate. And I bought his book. I had heard so much about his book. I had seen video clips of a show he had done in Europe last year. I think it was called Mind/Body … I had seen the video clips and I was really, really interested in his style of Karate. So when I was in Japan, I went to Kinokuniya in Tokyo and found his book (Karate and Ki) in English. And so I bought it. For two weeks everyday I read his book and made notes. And it just left a huge impression. Two things he said in particular really spoke to me. One, it is very important to have something in life that you can work your entire whole life towards. It reminded me a lot of Fukuzawa Yukiji you know he talks of seven shinkon very important things. And the other thing was he spoke about sanchin kata like math. First you have to learn to add and subtract, then multiplication, then division and you keep learning. But sanchin kata has everything inside from the beginning but depending on your level you take what you need. So I said I had to meet him. And so I was amazed today. There are so many times when you see video and you think that’s not possible, that people will be making it up. But I felt it today. So, I was very happy to be here. Very impressed. So I will definitely be back in October.
I will be back in Japan two more times this year for Karate events in June and November. I would like maybe one day to visit his school there.
I go to Japan 2-3 times a year. Ten years ago I lived in Japan for a year.
I am a fireman. And I have a Karate school where I teach. For twenty years I was enshinkaikan, enshin karate. But three years ago (I quit this organization), because I really believe the direction of karate has changed, too much sports now. That’s why I wanted to be here (to experience) bujitsu karate. And so when you belong to an organization it is very difficult to go other places so I became independent and this way I have the opportunity to learn from people like Ushiro Sensei. If you belong to an organization you cannot make such changes without people telling you are doing something wrong. So as an independent I can make changes.
(M.R., Fireman, Karate dojo owner and Instructor)
● It was my first time coming to one of these seminars. It is really incredible what he does. I came here with no expectations.? I find that his theories and philosophies are really logical but nobody really thinks about them enough. Whether you are a martial artist or just a regular person I think it is important to practice what he is teaching because it brings another sense that can help people in life. Everyone worries about their health but this is really something that makes someone healthy in life and a lot more balance. I liked his demonstrations. I liked how he put Ki into everything so we can all feel it.
（KC, British Columbia, former Karate Student, Works in retail. ）
● I loved it.? It was such a rewarding experience and I learned a lot. I learned that there is so much I don’t know and there is a lot to accomplish in the rest of my lifetime.? I look forward to continuing. I do both (Aikido and Karate) and it was wonderful to see them both put together.
(J V, 24,Microbiology lab technician)
● I liked it very much. I found it totally different from the kind of practice (in Aikido)? I have done in the past. It is this non-thinking mind. Not trying to apply technique but entering. I think this will help a lot. Right now I am returning to school. I teach teenagers and children how to use computers.
(SL, computer teacher)
● I liked it very much. I studied Kempo for many years. And I came here because I wanted to learn something calm. I liked Sensei’s book (Karate and Ki) and read it before I came.? It compliments what we do in Aikido. I am tired (from today) but I will be coming back for more.
(M G, former Karate student, graphics salesman)
● Yes, it was very impressive. When I first met Ushiro Sensei I was so shocked because I saw the limations of everything I had been doing. He just showed me a whole other dimension. I have been working on this but now I still see there is so much more to learn so I will have to try very hard.
(MJ. 28, Lawyer)
● I have recognized the Ki. I just have to learn how to develop it. And when I see it that high at his level … it gives me such a good aspiration. It’s amazing. Hopefully, I will have many years to practice it.